Wednesday, February 7, 2018

5 Worst Mistakes of Historic Homeowners

Via Susan

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjqRbBcWpTx6ttfXZRsqi9jztNex64xyBae0gbrCuUdK867J8tjIWrDZooiq3ejDY5UuWHlStHM0vHnqBUO1lSQZqsDplxI9QjhFfb0C3A4lel05vQOLOPePXjimrTcDF1IjausXRheW-4/s1600/P1000214.JPG

Being in the business of restoring and preserving historic structures, I have seen many a house that made me cock my head in amazement at some of the frightening things people do to “upgrade” their old homes. The phrase “What were they thinking?” is almost a cliche at my company.

Every year people tear out important (and valuable!) architectural elements and replace them with off the shelf items from the local big box hardware store all in the name of “improvement” or “energy-efficiency.”

Don’t get me wrong, I know that the science of building a house has been added to significantly in the last 100 years. And I’m not one to spit in the eye of progress when it comes to green products and energy saving upgrades- quite to the contrary!

The value of a historic home lies largely in its historic features. Remove or cover those up and you destroy the value of the home. So, in the interest of educating some of you about how to invest properly in the value of your historic home and to save some valuable historical elements from the landfill, I’ve compiled a list of the 5 worst mistakes we see when it comes to restoring historic homes. This week we’ll touch on the #1 offense- windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment