Thursday, March 8, 2018

I AM APPALLED -- Defacing of monument on South Mountain

Via Rick

 The North Carolina monument at Crampton's Gap on the South Mountain battlefield

I saw this monument a little over a year ago. Even though I am a diehard Unionist, this monument to North Carolina soldiers is very well-done and very moving, and I have a special affection for it. It is located in a beautiful, out-of-the-way spot that you have to hike about a quarter-mile to get to. I felt like I'd discovered a hidden treasure.

It's not hidden enough, I guess. I'm just amazed that vandals even knew about this monument, much less would take the trouble to get there. But then, vandals are cowards, and the monument's placement at a site that can't be seen from main roads would make their nasty deed easier, wouldn't it?

This kind of thing really grieves me.

More with pictures and history @ Civil War Talk

6 comments:

  1. Oh, yea they're on the internet scouring for the Confederate
    monuments. They're despicable and should be thrown out of
    the country - North Korea would be a good choice to go work in
    the mines and pounding rocks. They are not American.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. North Korea would be a good choice to go work in
      the mines and pounding rocks.

      Really.

      Delete
  2. I still do not understand. The police certainly are aware of this problem. Why do they not do something? They already known that Confederate monuments are a target. So they have a simple thing to do--set up a nearby camera. It could not be more simple

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a good opportunity, for someone with enough patience, to teach the origins (good and bad) of the Confederacy, secession, ensuing diplomatic breakdown and war.

    ReplyDelete