Monday, October 15, 2018

Dickey Chapelle: "When I die, I want it to be on patrol with the United States Marines" - Her last words: "I guess it was bound to happen."

 Photojournalist Dickey Chapelle was wearing combat boots, a bush hat and her signature pearl earrings when she was hit by shrapnel from a Viet Cong land mine near Chu Lai Air Base on Nov. 4, 1965. She was the first female American war correspondent to be killed in action. "When I die, I want it to be on patrol with the United States Marines," she'd once said. Her last words were, reportedly, "I guess it was bound to happen."
Photojournalist Dickey Chapelle was wearing combat boots, a bush hat and her signature pearl earrings when she was hit by shrapnel from a Viet Cong land mine near Chu Lai Air Base on Nov. 4, 1965.

No comments:

Post a Comment