Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Why Do Southerners Eat Black-Eyed Peas on New Year’s?

Via Jonathan

  

A basic part of being human is to have a culture and people, an identity. Without identity, one would just be a sad hedonistic worker unit with no past, no future and no reason to live beyond personal pleasure. White folks, particularly Southerners are forbidden an identity in the modern West. As a consequence, our societies are being taken worldwide by the forces of globalism. The basics of decency is to love who you are, love the way God created you….and to love your people!


It was the winter of 1864 when the devil went down to Georgia. William Tecumseh Sherman issued special field order no. 120 which commanded his soldiers to forage liberally. The 60,000 man army would forcefully live off the people of the South; foragers rode off in all directions looking for loot.

According to Sherman’s own estimates, his armies seized over 5,000 horses, 4,000 mules and 13,000 head of cattle, while confiscating 9.5 million pounds of corn and 10.5 million pounds of livestock fodder.

10 comments:

  1. God Bless hopin'john n' cornbread

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'll be dipped in buttermilk. My folks were from San Antonio, Texas and Ruston, Louisiana. We grew up eating black-eyed peas every New Years, for "good luck." But, I never knew the origins of the tradition. In fact, I wondered this very question as I sorted the bag last night before soaking them. Now I know the reason why, and as our black-eyed peas are about to go into the pot for today's feast, I will read this story to my family. The wafting aromas of peas and ham hocks cooking will be a good reminder to each of us. One of the comments on the original post said: They always ate greens and black-eyed peas for the New Year. "The greens were money, and the peas were change."

    **ANOTHER EXCELLENT HISTORICAL ARTICLE FROM THE SOUTHERN JEDI MASTER AND GENTLEMAN, BROCK TOWNSEND! Thanks Brock! HAPPY NEW YEARS to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And we had chili. We gave up the black-eyed peas years ago because my wife and I never really cared for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Cut off the fat from a Smithfield ham and throw it in the pot. I believe you'll like it.

      Delete
  4. On New Years Day my family (and most others I know) always have black-eyed peas, greens, and jog jowl. The story I heard all of my life was that it to bring good luck. We have never-ever called black-eyed peas "hoppin-john".
    Deo Vindice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have never-ever called black-eyed peas "hoppin-john".

      No, as Hoppin' John includes rice.

      Delete
  5. The hog jowl is fried by the way! Greens and peas are slow cooked with some fat meat added. Then there is always a big pawn of cornbread and a cut up raw onion and spicy relish, various side dishes and deserts to complete the meal.

    ReplyDelete