Friday, February 21, 2020

No casket, no cost: Tennesseans go back to 'natural' burial

Via Leslie 

 

An east Tennessee burial preserve goes back to the basics by offering a "simpler, more natural" way of burying the dead -- no casket, no embalming and no cost.
In 2007, Bill Nickle, the founder of Narrow Ridge Center, a nonprofit organization established to teach sustainability, set aside five acres of land in Washburn for a natural burial preserve.

Five years later, Tennessee established Narrow Ridge as a community cemetery, and it has operated as such ever since. It's not like most cemeteries out there. It's a "green" cemetery, which its operators say means people buried there can't be embalmed or placed in a casket.

"When people died, they had home funerals and buried them within 26-36 hours and in a natural way," Bill Nickle told WVLT. "There was no embalming. There was no metal casket, no concrete vaults, and that was the way it was."

More @ WITN

12 comments:

  1. "When I die don't bury me
    In a box in a cemetery
    Out in the garden would be much better
    I could be pushin' up homegrown tomatoes"

    "Homegrown Tomatoes" --Guy Clark

    --Ron W

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fell the same way, funeral and burial practices today are an abomination. Either cremate me or bury me in a hole with no casket or vaults. It does not spoil the ecology of the burial area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting in that I woke up in the middle of the night and decided to have my helper Susan, make my casket! I put my tombstone down 18 years ago and since I have an existing family graveyard, 1823 is the first burial as I remember, just dig a hole. When I laid the tombstone down
      they told me it would be about $5K but I called them recently and they said it is much more now.

      Delete
    2. That's a good reason to purchase a pre burial arrangement. I had to do that as a conservator for a disabled cousin. When he passed, the funeral home that handled his funeral and burial handed me a $2000+ check for his estate that it had gained in value just after a few years. --Ron W

      Delete
  3. 5K for what? Can't a hole be dug and lay the casket in it and
    cover with dirt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No money in that. That was their cheapest wooden coffin and cheapest burial vault that would seal plus..........

      Delete
    2. Get a carpenter to make one. Who cares about the seal.
      Billy Graham's wife had a simple wooden coffin made for
      her burial just like the old days.

      Delete
    3. You can make them yourself. There are diagrams and you can even get them in kit form.

      Delete
    4. Kit? Diagrams? It's a wooden box. A box you intend to bury and never see again. It's literally impossible to do it wrong unless it is for a 600 pound cadaver.

      --generic

      Delete
    5. Naw, more work but give it some style. :)

      Delete