Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Georgia Democrat Who Endorsed Trump Resigns From Seat in State Legislature

Georgia Rep. Vernon Jones. (Georgia House of Representatives)

 “Turn the lights off, I have left the plantation. Someone else can occupy that suite.

Georgia Democratic state Rep. Vernon Jones said he is resigning from his seat in the state legislature after he endorsed President Donald Trump’s reelection.

Jones told The Rashad Richey Morning Show that he won’t leave the Democratic Party because “somebody’s got to be in there to hold them accountable … to how they are treating black people [and] root out the bigotry,” according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution newspaper.

“I’m sick and tired of me and my family being attacked and harassed by the Democrat Party for putting my country before my party. I take pride in being an independent thinker. My first amendment right to freedom of speech is under siege,” Jones, who is African American, said in a statement Wednesday in confirming his resignation, reported CBS46 in Atlanta.

He said that he’ll now “help the Democrat Party get rid of its bigotry against Black people that are independent and conservative.”

6 comments:

  1. "Sometimes party loyalty asks too much." --John F. Kennedy
    That's an understatement for this situation.mI can remember when especially Southern Democrats were Constitutionalists and classical liberals and by that, I mean supporting ALL of tbe Bill of Rights according to plain English. Good for you, Rep. Vernon Jones! --Ron W

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He must have another offer since I would think he could have just switched to R instead.

      Delete
  2. Taking Mr. Jones on his word I'd have to say he, a Democrat, has more backbone than 90% of Republican politicians.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God Speed Sir! Watch your Six, though.

    ReplyDelete