Sunday, June 21, 2020

Father's Day Emerald Isle: The *Tarheel State-Land of the Longleaf Pine-The Old North State

Via Daughter Christine





*Robert E. Lee quotation

The book Grandfather Tales of North Carolina History (1901) states that:
During the late unhappy war between the States it [North Carolina] was sometimes called the "Tar-heel State," because tar was made in the State, and because in battle the soldiers of North Carolina stuck to their bloody work as if they had tar on their heels, and when General Lee said, "God bless the Tar-heel boys," they took the name. (p. 6)[10]
A letter found in 1991 (dating from 1864 in the North Carolina "Tar Heel Collection") by North Carolina State Archivist David Olson supports the theory that Lee might have stated something similar to this. A Colonel Joseph Engelhard, describing the Battle of Ream's Station in Virginia, wrote: "It was a 'Tar Heel' fight, and ... we got Gen'l Lee to thanking God, which you know means something brilliant."[11][12] 

8 comments:

  1. Wow, you did have a wonderful Father's Day. Thank heavens for
    Christine. The food looks yummy and her collection of pots.
    I love old heavy pots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you did have a wonderful Father's Day. Thank heavens for Christine.

      Really!
      ========
      The food looks yummy and her collection of pots. I love old heavy pots.

      Best mashed potatoes and gravy I've ever had! I recently acquired a large cast iron frying pan and no more sticking. :) Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I am glad you had a nice Fathers day banquet! I too like cast iron, since I switched over the food does taste better. I see donuts! I didn't hear anything about sharing those with your loyal readers... Donuts and Tootsie Rolls are my weakness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's such a perfect picture of you, that I've saved it on my computer's hard drive and shared it at my FLICKR account!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :) I did look better in 1969 though......:)Christine took the shot.

      Delete
  4. You folks look great Brock. I'm glad your Father's day was a great day.

    ReplyDelete