Monday, February 1, 2021

North Carolina DMV removes Confederate battle flag license plate

 Via Daughter Christine

 The N.C. Department of Motor Vehicles has discontinued the Sons of Confederate Veterans specialty license plate because it bears the image of the Confederate flag.

Powell refutes this stance and said the organization plans to fight the decision, having already assembled its legal team to look into the matter. "Our plates were issued under a court order and it was upheld by the N.C. Court of Appeals," he said. "I don't care who is the commissioner of the Department of Transportation is, they cannot violate the ruling."

Six months after acknowledging it had received complaints about the representation of the Confederate battle flag on a specialty license plate, the N.C. Department of Motor Vehicles will no longer issue or renew the plate for drivers.

The removal of the license plate, issued to members of the Sons of Confederate Veterans organization, quietly became effective at the start of the new year, according to a statement from the NCDMV.

More @ Star News Online

5 comments:

  1. Do they still allow vanity plates? Lord knows when I was there they did. I had one of those hideous things on the front of my truck that had some lovey dovey crap on it for my gf at the time. 2 palm trees with a sunset. God I was an idiot. A Confederate flag would have been a better choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where are you now? In NC there is no front license plate, so you're going to see a lot of vehicles with Confederate Flag license plates on the front now. :)

      Delete
  2. Yeah that's what I mean. I'm in SE Okla now. I used to live in Fayetteville. I was a FF at Bonnie Doone station. Moved to Lumberton for a year after that and then back to Texas, then here 9 years ago. I know my way around those parts pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol! Yeah I have gypsy blood I think. I was in Texas for a long time though. Moved out of NC in 99. Texas until 2012.

    ReplyDelete