Saturday, March 27, 2021

A Confederate Soldier With A Cocky Attitude: Jake Donelson Fighting Rooster Of The Confederacy

Soldier With Feathers

 

Last weekend I found my way down to Grundy County. I realized I had passed through the area, but never stopped for a visit. The area around Monteagle was reminiscent of Pigeon Forge in the 1960s. I stayed at The Smoke House Lodge and Cabins, which was a nice place if you like that rustic, hickory smoke, woodsy, black bear feeling. They have a big restaurant and country store. Thinking I was famished, I took advantage of the buffet which had a big pot of beef stew and giant iron skillet of cornbread on a wood stove. I had to “sample” the catfish, fried chicken, and BBQ, you know, so I could give an honest recommendation. The food was awesome! They had live music, which was okay, but since I knew over half the folks there, it was hard to “visit” over the noise.

More @ The Greenville Sun

7 comments:

  1. I stayed in Pigeon Forge a couple of times during the early to mid
    seventies. It was wonderful - our room had a fireplace - there was
    a little chapel off of the sidewalk on lit up as it was nite time.
    Great shopping - local made, not China. And the best thing of all,
    there wasn't many people. Shear ambrosia. Now, it is a jungle.
    Where did all these people come from all of a sudden? The serenity
    of the mtns. has been invaded and destroyed. Everything they touch....


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :( 21st century

      Although the commercial boom in Pigeon Forge vastly increased the town's revenue, it had several undesirable effects. As land value increased, many farmers could no longer afford the accompanying high property taxes and were forced to sell their land.

      Delete
    2. I know. Nobody much came to the mtns. I never saw a Park Ranger
      once. Camping - nobody around. Cabin rentals - $8.00/nite.
      Hike to ones favorite water falls - nobody around. One could
      just set up camp where ever one chose.
      Now the National Parks are begging for donations d/t the state
      of destruction from the masses ( here in Western NC ). Yellow Stone National Park -
      bye, bye. People in cars waiting for hours to gain entry.
      I just don't get it. Here in Western NC, there is not even
      room for cars to park anymore to see stolen lands National Parks.

      Delete
    3. there is not even room for cars to park anymore to see stolen lands National Parks.

      Amazing and sad.

      Delete