Friday, August 6, 2021

An ode to the Waccamaw


Waccamaw Powwow. Image courtesy of Flickr user The Life of Bryan, uploaded on October 20, 2007.

Waccamaw Indians


My heart bled along the Waccamaw,
where ancient warriors reigned.
I wonder if their spirits saw
as I kneeled there, pained.

Carolina! She beckoned me to rise,
and her warm sun kissed my face.
A glory came fore my eyes,
which is this Southern place.

Hail, you Carolinas of mine,
you’ve dearly blessed your son.
There’s naught I’d rather be than thine,
I am grateful for all you’ve done.

Your beauties are like Eden to me,
and I shall never forget you, amour!
You will be the first and last I see,
and there’s nothing I’d want more.

A Tarheel I was in the womb,
and that I have been all my days.
A Tarheel I shall be in my tomb,
having sung this final praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment