Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Marine General Al Gray (VN)

 

Via Tuan Hoang

   May be an image of 1 person and military uniform

I’m posting an email I received from Marine General Al Gray three years ago on the anniversary of the Fall of Saigon. This evening, General Gray gave me permission to post it here for all war veterans:
 
As I write this, it is about 0740 Saigon time (I don’t call it Ho Chin Minh city). At this time, 44 years ago, we were again on the USS Blue Ridge. We had landed earlier, around 1530 after completing the evacuation at Tan Son Nhut Airfield and thinking we were done, I remember standing in back of the last CH53 to leave watching the fires we had started to burn down portions of the Headquarters complex as well as other equipment. I couldn’t help but think about all the brave Warriors from our Nation, our many Allies and our South Vietnamese comrades who fought for the simple idea of helping South Vietnam remain free. Let me say here as well, had not the South Vietnamese fought well and with honor in the end, we would have taken casualties during the evacuation. 
 
Having arrived on the Blue Ridge, we found out they had not finished at the Embassy. We boarded a CH-46 and headed back in. While approaching the Embassy, we got word everyone was out so we returned to the Flag Ship.
 
Personally, I knew a number of the RVN officers at Saigon from previous experience. We offered to evacuate them; to a man they said No! They had promised they would fight to the end. Interestingly, I maintained some contact with RVN Marine Company Commanders who were still fighting as guerrillas in I Corps during the period leading up to (and after) the evacuation.
 
Enough said. Just wanted our Vietnam Veterans to know that i believe you should always stand tall!
Warm Regards and Semper Fidelis,
 
~~Al Gray

4 comments:

  1. Ask Kay Griggs about Gen Gray. You'll have quite a story

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gen Al Gray was the best Commandant of the Marine Corps we could have possible ever had. Where are the likes of him these days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hussein cleaned out the good ones when he was in office.

      Delete