Monday, August 20, 2012

When Seconds Count, Shoot Them Yourself

Via Liberty and Lead

WVTM Martha Lewis intruder

Martha Lewis shot an intruder in her home to protect herself and her daughters. (Image source: WVTM-TV)

An Alabama woman said she was forced to shoot an intruder that broke into her home this week in order to protect herself and her daughters.

Martha Lewis of Dora, Ala. told WVTM-TV it was about 3 a.m. Tuesday morning when she heard a loud noise, which turned out to be someone kicking in her door. Lewis said she called the police and grabbed her gun, then went to her daughters’ room and told them each to get something to defend themselves with. She said one grabbed an ax and one got a butcher knife.

They were at the top of the stairs when they saw a man standing there at the bottom.

“I knew when he stepped on the landing that I would have to shoot him,” Lewis told the station. “He starts like coming up the stairs and he said, ‘would you shoot me?‘ And I said ’I don’t want to have to but I will.’”

Ignoring her warnings, the man kept coming — and that’s when Lewis said she fired.

“It wasn’t like, oh can I pull the trigger? It was like when should I shoot? When will he be close enough that I know I won’t miss him? That’s one of the things that was going through my mind,” she said.

More @ Alabama 13

4 comments:

  1. I read this story earlier somewhere else, can't remember...good for her! I love that she told her kids to arm themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She said one grabbed an ax and one got a butcher knife.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's one for the good guys!

    ReplyDelete