Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Southern Gray by A J Timmons

Attached is the cover page of some sheet music my great grandfather wrote. 

Andrew. J. (1847-1931) didn't serve that I know of (too young) but brothers William  (1843-1911), James K. P (1841-1914) & Thomas J.(1845-1933)  did. All in A Co 9th Tn Cav Bn from Maury County, TN

 
I don't know when he wrote this. If you or anyone you know would like a color copy of the original that is the same size as the original folded like sheet music, I will send you one. FedEx Office was able to make large two sided color copies that were the same size as the original laid out flat. 

A. J. was apparently called "Jack" based on a genealogy notebook my grandfather put together. The notebook was all handwritten in pencil. G Grandfather died in 1931 at 84. Grandfather Horace Hamilton Sr. died in 1958 at 80.

--Terry (Timmons)

5 comments:

  1. I'm no ace reader, but I've never seen the triangular notes. Does that mean something, or is it handwritten?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found this.

      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shape_note

      Delete
    2. Huh, learn something new everyday.

      Delete
  2. Sharp eye, Roger. I have the original and didn't know that they had any significance. We all learned something. I am handicapped by knowing how to read music, not that it means I could carry a tune in a bucket - I can't.
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You ought to hear me sing with no vocal cords.:) Next October is my military school's 50th reunion and being the BN adjutant of the class I get to call them to attention and take the report, so gonna' have to get some practice in.:)

      Delete