Saturday, November 13, 2010

EMELINE PIGOTT: HEROIC CONFEDERATE SPY

Emeline Piggot
Civil War spy
She Never Revealed Why Released From Prison
"While the Yankees were trying to find a female to search her, Emeline ate some important information and tore up other papers. Some say she was tried and sentenced to death. Others say she was never tried. Whatever happened, after two months, she was inexplicably released and sent home. She had been nothing but trouble to the soldiers who guarded her. I was born a Tarheel, and I greatly admire her courage."

(Many pictures in the second link within the main one under picture. BT)

3 comments:

  1. I remember reading an account which stated that one young woman prisoner was so difficult and obstreperous with her captors that the commander of the jail ordered her whipped. Never did find out any more about it, but I think it might have been in Washington City.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That rings a bell also, Val, but I don't remember more. I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete