Thursday, January 5, 2012

A GUN IS NOT A BADGE...

Via Tom Stedham

The details surrounding the tragedy that played out in New York City recently where an off-duty BATFE agent was killed are coming to light. He was killed, not by the bad guy, but by a late-arriving-on-the-scene former, and now retired, Nassau County police lieutenant who owns and operates a nearby delicatessen.

Two men were struggling outside on the sidewalk after a pharmacy robbery three doors away. Screams of alarm were followed by plenty of verbal commands to let go of the gun, shouted announcements of "Police" being repeated over and over, but still one guy was physically starting to gain control over the disputed firearm. The retired police lieutenant fearing that individual was the bad guy, put his own legally licensed handgun in the guy's ribs and fired once.

He shot and killed an off-duty federal agent trying to do the same thing he was, which was STOP an armed robbery!

I think it's safe to say that anyone, anywhere who has a legally licensed permit to carry a concealed firearm has at some point in time imagined themselves being in this same type of situation and they would rise to the occasion to help justice prevail by intervening to stop such a crime.

I WON'T!

2 comments:

  1. Sad situation. Unfortunately, I'm seeing many right wing blog sites lionizing the ATF agent blindly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brock, Et Alia:

    Well, I've been thinking this over, and I do disagree with the author of that post.

    Maybe my expectations are idealistic and impractical, but I truly believe we are supposed to be our brother's keeper, and get involved.

    I would like to see a society where every citizen is always armed.

    In addition, I think every citizen should be trained as an Emergency Medical Technician, for if I can pass that test, then anybody can.

    I think every residence, every vehicle, and every business establishment should be fully equipped with combat, medical, firefighting, and outdoor survival field gear, including emergency reserves of rations, water, and fuel.

    If every citizen was trained and equipped, and every citizen would become actively involved in public safety, then we could all enjoy far lower taxes, for we would need fewer full time professional emergency responders, and we could stop building prisons.

    But, to make this possible, I desperately need your votes to elect me Supreme Dictator of the World for Life, so I can promptly begin doing things MY way!!!

    Thank you.

    John Robert Mallernee
    Armed Forces Retirement Home
    Gulfport, Mississippi 39507

    ReplyDelete