Friday, March 16, 2012

Is It Time for Financial Tough Love in Your Family?

These parents have gone overboard to the point of idiocy. Should be a parody.

I want to address a common issue these days for "empty nester" parents. How much and in what forms do you financially help your adult children? Over the last two years, this has been our experience.

First, let me tell you about us. My husband is in his late sixties, and retired from law enforcement and is living on a pension. He was diagnosed with throat cancer last year and with God’s grace and first class medical treatment, he is doing all right. I have a good job in a medium size city. I am in my mid-fifties. We live in a modest home on a suburban acre. We have been married 24 years in a second marriage and our (FIVE) children are from our first marriages.

Here are the kids (most are in their mid-thirties):

More @ Survival

1 comment:

  1. If your kid is abusing ANY substance, and you're paying ANY of their bills, YOU ARE BUYING THEIR DRUG FOR THEM!

    Example: Grown kid uses $100/week worth of "some drug", comes up $500 short on rent. "Grandma" pays the rent so grandkid will be safe

    Grandma should just cut out the middleman and pay the dealer directly as SHE IS BUYING THE "DRUGS."

    Having this battle RIGHT NOW with a family-member, watched my mother enable my sister's eventual death the same way...

    Sis drank to excess despite being a brittle diabetic. "Grandma" bought diapers/formula/etc when sis "couldn't" - "didn't have the $$" BECAUSE SHE SPENT IT ON BOOZE.

    Meanwhile, *MY* requests for *TEMPORARY* **LOAN** to help with a (second) car was rejected.

    Grandma says "I didn't help HER, I just made sure my grandson had his necessities."

    KNOWING YOU WOULD BUY NECESSITIES ALLOWED SIS TO SPEND $$ ON BOOZE! -- ERGO, YOU BOUGHT THE BOOZE!!

    OTOH *I* made damn sure **MY** KID WAS SET - then whatever was left over went to stuff like rent and car-payment...

    Takeaway lesson: I should have bought weed, then Grandma would have paid for what the kids needed...

    PS: WE AS A SOCIETY ARE EVEN MORE STUPID IN RE "THE WELFARE STATE."

    Not having to buy food/shelter/medical care/etc for their kids lets the lazy poor remain indolent and indigent. WE MIGHT AS WELL PAY THE DEALERS DIRECTLY!!

    ReplyDelete