Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Richard L. Johnson Gun Review: Ruger LCR

The .357 is my pocket carry with Speer LE 158 gr. GDHP.

Let me admit my bias up front: I’m a Smith & Wesson kind of guy. I’ve owned and carried many of their handguns both on and off-duty. The first handgun I ever bought was a model 10 heavy barrel that rode in a Safariland holster for more than two years before my department moved to the Glock 17.

It doesn’t mean that I don’t carry or appreciate other firearms. If you see me out and about, I’ve likely got a Glock 19 on my hip. If I am on the job, you will see a SIG SAUER P226 in the holster. But I always have a hammerless Smith on my person. Always.

When the Ruger LCR was introduced in 2009, I was intrigued. Here was a revolver being introduced at a time when the semi-auto pistol is king. Plus, going head-to-head with Smith & Wesson in the pocket revolver market was a bold move.

But, several years later, the LCR has carved out a significant niche in the market, and Ruger continues to introduce new models of the handgun to meet consumer demand. Having shot several LCR revolvers, I understand why this little gun is thriving in the current market.



LCR

The LCR, or “Lightweight Compact Revolver,” is a hammerless, snub-nose handgun. The initial LCR was available only in .38 Special (+P rated), but newer models are available in both .22 LR and .357 Magnum.

More @ Guns & Patriots

No comments:

Post a Comment