Sunday, May 20, 2012

Robin Koerner on Blue Republicans and Why Ron Paul Remains the Hope for the US's Future


The Daily Bell is pleased to present this exclusive interview with Robin Koerner.

Introduction: Robin Koerner is an influential political journalist who coined the term "Blue Republican." He also runs WatchingAmerica.com, a volunteer force some 400 strong that finds and translates news and views about the USA from all over the world. This interview was conducted prior to the announcement that Congressman and Presidential Candidate Ron Paul (whom Koerner backs) would not further contest various states in the Republican primary. However, Ron Paul has not given any indication he is actually dropping out of the race and Koerner's statements below thus stand as stated (unless Ron Paul issues further clarifications) without need of further clarification.

Daily Bell: Give us some background on yourself.

Robin Koerner: I am in my mid-30s and was born in south of England. I studied physics and philosophy at Peterhouse, Cambridge University and have traveled quite extensively. I’m now a permanent resident of the USA (living in Seattle), with the intention of becoming a citizen. I am also the founder and publisher of Watching America.com and probably best known in the USA today for coining the expression "Blue Republican" to refer to those former non-Republicans of more liberal sensibility who are switching to the Republican party specifically to support Ron Paul.

Daily Bell: When did you decide to get involved as an alternative media political commentator?

Robin Koerner: I have been writing on and off for a few years, after I founded www.WatchingAmerica.com, but was not very motivated because I didn't feel that my writing was making much of a difference... Then about a year ago I was invited to write on the Huffington Post and I thought that I should give writing a serious go to see if I could do any good. In particular, I thought HuffPo offered a great opportunity to provide an alternative account of US politics to liberals. I soon found that many thousands of people were following and sharing my articles. Feeling I was indeed making a useful contribution to the American political scene, I committed myself more firmly to writing, and I've been fortunate enough to have enjoyed significant success.

Daily Bell: Why did you develop the Blue Republican nomenclature specifically?

Robin Koerner: The reasons are in the article that set it off, called "If You Love Peace, Become a Blue Republican (Just for a Year)."

Daily Bell: Is it a feasible idea?

More @ The Daily Bell

No comments:

Post a Comment