Sunday, August 19, 2012

Observation in Reidsville on 19 August


Mr. Townsend,

My name is Roger Idol and I live in Davidson County, NC. I have been reading Free North Carolina for sometime and it has became a daily must for me. When I read about the flagging in Reidsville, I determined to go and support the folks, being unreconstructed myself. Well, the day came and brought with it a fair amount of rain. I decided to make the trip of about 55 miles anyway. By the time I came to Greensboro, it was really putting it down and I figured the event was probably called due to the weather. I kept on as my wife had never seen Reidsville. It was about 2:30 when we arrived at the circle, with light rain coming down. The circle, in fact, the whole area, was deserted. I did see several small battle flags planted in the ground round the circle.

Told the wife at least they had been here! She asked if I wanted my picture took in the circle, to which I agreed. As I was standing there, an old pick-up truck , with a black gentleman driving, came round the circle and honked his horn and gave a friendly salute. Well, let me tell you about the interesting part. When I first parked on one side of the circle, I noticed a Reidsville Police car pull up and park on another side of the circle. No one was around, except me, my wife, and the lone cop, and he was several yards from us. I figured he wanted to see what I was doing in the circle. Well, we left and I told the wife we needed some gas. Drove a couple of miles and filled up, deciding to drive back around the circle. Got back there just a few minutes past 3:00. The flags were gone! No police car to be seen either. Draw your own conclusion.

Sir, why did I write you? Just thinking you might somehow relay this information to some Southern Patriots and just wanted to say how much I enjoy Free North Carolina. Thanks for taking the time to read my letter.

Sincerely,
Roger L. Idol
Lexington, NC

7 comments:

  1. Susan Frise Hathaway Wow! He must've JUST missed us! :( We were soaked to the bone by about 2:15 and packed up! I'll get pics and a report up soon! .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Idol, It appears that you just missed us by a matter of minutes. By around 2:15 we were soaked to the bone, and the rain showed no signs of letting up. Of course, almost as soon as we hit the highway, the sun decided to make its first appearance of the day. ;)

    The stick flags are a trademark of the Va Flaggers, and we have no illusions that they will remain longer than the time it takes for someone to yank them, but as long as we have the means and ability, we will keep planting them, all across the South!

    Check back for a report and pictures...coming soon!

    Susan Hathaway
    Va Flaggers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to say it was a great day in Reidsville today. I was very proud to stand on that 6inch piece of concrete and stand for the soldier, both stone and flesh, who is no longer standing. The people of Reidsville are some of the nicest and kindest people I have ever met. Tonight I will dream of the honking of the car horns and the smiling faces. Sorry you missed us Mr. Idol but chances are very good we will back.

    Tripp Lewis
    Va Flagger

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr Idol. I am sorry that we were not there to meet you. Seems you had just missed us by mere minutes. I had returned to the circle just after three to see if the flags were still there, and to no surprise they were gone. We had not been away less than half an hour, butI will make this promise that I will return soon. If you would like to contact me and travel with me to Reidsville sometime I would be happy to have you by my side. If you live in the Lexington area I also attend an SCV meeting on the second Tuesday of every month at Speedy's BBQ. You are more than welcome to come to a meeting we would be happy to have you and discuss the Monument situation deeper.

    Jamie Funkhouser
    Tar Heel Flagger

    ReplyDelete
  5. To paraphrase Thomas Wolfe, October will come again, and I'll be in NC with all you heroes of mine. Yesterday I saw hundreds of American flags planted at the Aurora Theater Massacre Memorial. The pictures are at my Google+ page, which probably won't open from this address. But I'll post it anyway. https://plus.google.com/u/0/?tab=mX No, there were no Confederate flags there, but I still fly the American flag out here. The battle flag would probably last as long here as yours did in Reidsville. Keep up the good work. I hope I can find that circle when I come in late September.

    My favorite quote:
    Major R. E. Wilson, formerly of the 1st North Carolina Battalion of Sharpshooters, spoke of the southern mind when he said, "If ever I disown, repudiate, or apologize for the cause for which Lee fought and Jackson died, let the lightnings of Heaven rend me, and the scorn of all good men and true women be my portion. Sun, moon, stars, all fall on me when I cease to love the Confederacy. 'Tis the cause, not the fate of the cause, that is glorious."
    From Southern By The Grace of God, p . 164

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be great to meet you, Sir

      "I would like to see the infernal Yankee race exterminated, and only known as a people who have passed away, unhonored and unwept."

      1st Lt. John Douglas Fowler
      04-23-1862
      The only Confederate Marine officer to die on active duty

      http://www.namsouth.com/viewtopic.php?t=78&highlight=quotes

      Delete