Saturday, October 27, 2012

Cherokee County teen shot by police sniper, parents speak out

Via Hype And Fail

I can't get the second video to post for some reason, but you can view it at the link below.

The parents of a 16-year-old suicidal boy spoke only with CBS Atlanta News' Wendy Saltzman after their son was gunned down by a police sniper in Cherokee County.

Lisa and Nick Messina said their son was killed at the hands of the officers they called for help.
According to his parents, Andrew Messina had a bad day at school and the pressure was so overwhelming, he grabbed a gun and threatened to kill himself.

Lisa Messina called the cops in desperation, hoping an officer would come talk to him. But what arrived was an army of deputies, an armored tank and a sniper.

"We would still be sitting there today if it weren't for that very, very aggressive act that he made of ramming the gun and a pistol straight through a glass door at our officers," said Cherokee County Sheriff Roger Garrison, on the day after the shooting.

Garrison painted a picture of a dangerous gunman taking aim at his officers, and defended his sniper's fire.

"Had that officer not taken the action, there is a good chance one of those negotiators that was there who also has a family, also would not be going home today," Garrison said.

But the other side of this story has never been told before, a story about a boy described as a pacifist who some say was needlessly killed.

"Would you have ever called the police if you had known this could have happened?" Chief Investigative Reporter Wendy Saltzman asked Lisa Messina.

"That's the one thing I would have done different today. I would not have called 911," she said.

More @ CBS 

8 comments:

  1. Welcome to the Police State of America! If this doesn't disgust you, something's WRONG!

    Barney Fife at his absolute worst wouldn't be this stupid. Andy would have the kid crying on his shoulder inside of 15 minutes, and eating Aunt Bea's pie 10 minutes after that.

    We need more Andys, and fewer thugs with badges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy would have the kid crying on his shoulder inside of 15 minutes, and eating Aunt Bea's pie 10 minutes after that.

    We need more Andys, and fewer thugs with badges.

    Well said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do these "heros" sleep at night, or look themselves in the mirror ever again?? I love how various eleced officials rail on about Syrias government "killing their citizens", but remain mute about it here...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll never call the police again. We have criminals in government service from the very top down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it depends on where you live. I've always been favorably impressed with those in Tarboro and Cape Carteret.

      Delete
  5. You are correct, as usual. I've just been embittered by the Denver Police. They're bad. I could move back home. I just finished watching Desperado with Antonio Banderas and looked up all the lyrics to the closing song. It sure speaks to me after 61 years away from NC.

    "Forget about the past
    Forget about the guilt
    I'm going back to the house Love built."

    My wife came in and I told her that Salma Hayek's name in the movie was Carolina, pronounced Cahr o leen a. My wife's name is Carolyn and she often gets mail addressed to Carolina Smith. Henceforth I will address her as Cahr o leena. Any Virginia girl should be proud of that, no? Only an hour before I had told her that I was always supposed to retire to Manns Harbor, NC but that I thought Emerald Isle Beach might suit me better. Your recent pictures of the ocean have torn me apart. They are very motivational to me. Am I the only homesick Tarheel who reads your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Henceforth I will address her as Cahr o leena. Any Virginia girl should be proud of that, no?

    :)
    ==================
    They are very motivational to me.

    Y'all come on down, Sir and I'll help you any way I can!:) We only go around once, as you well know, and both of our journeys may be coming to an end sooner than later.

    ReplyDelete