Saturday, December 22, 2012

'A rifleman that knows what he is doing', Burial tubes, come and get it

 Via hefferman1

 

Yesterday, having received a couple of calls, I took it upon myself to wander through the local gun stores and see what was going on and the reports I have heard are 100% true.

I was witness to what very well may be the biggest civilian arms build-up in the history of the United States.

The first place I checked out was mobbed and the wall that generally holds ARs and AKs was bare. They were sold out and I overheard that another place I did business with while I was on the competitive circuit had moved over 200 ARs and about an equal number of AKs in less than two days.

A couple people told me that someone moved a truckload of ammo in a day. That's well over a million rounds and an awful lot of ammo.

The other thing I heard is that another surplus dealer went into his warehouse and got three footlockers of Vietnam era 20 round magazines out and taped them together in lots of ten and moved them in a day. Twenty round magazines normally do not sell to anyone but competitive service rifle shooters as they are shorter than thirty round mags. The extra length of the thirty rounders get in the way in prone shooting.

I have also read that Brownells, a firearm accessory and ammunition seller that the number of P-mags they sell in about 3.5 years have sold in 36 hours and they have moved even greater a number of their own brand of magazines. That's a lot of magazines. A visit to their website seems to confirm this. They have said that orders are running behind because of the volume of orders.

A lot of gunmakers are working a lot of overtime to keep up with orders which are incredible. ARs are flying out of factories like never before, and the prices are going through the roof.

I have been through the panic buys of the Clinton years and the panic buys following the election of President Obama but have never seen a panic like this anywhere.

When you consider that this is in the Pittsburgh area and that generally the area tends to vote for liberal candidates I can only begin to guess what this panic is like in other places.
 

  

10 comments:

  1. Not a semi auto to be found within 4 hours of where I live, magazines either. I managed to pick up a few things before they disappeared, but I was waiting in line for 3hours . Worth it for sure as this may be the last chance for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last week we, my wife and I, went to sight-in her shotgun laser in the biggest gun store in Minneapolis.

    To our surprise, there were a long line out of the door, when usually there are a few guys wandering around the place. Everything was sold. The store was empty when we left it, and the line was longer.

    Thank God we'd made our additional purchases months prior to the 'election.' Better yet, due to miscommunications, we bought twice the EBRs, ammo and mags we had planned. Happy us.

    I feel sorry for the slow ones. Life sucks at times. This is the wrong time to be late.

    You all stay safe,

    Tino

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes me all warm and fuzzy knowing that I really did not need to purchase anything.

    Bob
    III

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I saw the writing on the wall in 2008, though I have a friend who did it all when Clinton was elected the first time.:)

      "And Now, After Sending Our Best Young Men To Die On distant battlefields fighting Communism, we may simply vote a Marxist into our highest office."
      23 July 2008

      Delete
  4. AMartinez no not that oneDecember 23, 2012 at 11:52 AM

    Been trying to tell my family for years to stock up, wouldn't listen. Now they call asking what to do. Go figgure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never fails. I can hear my father now:

      "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."

      Delete