Sunday, March 17, 2013

Being White in Philly

Via Bill 

 http://www.phillymag.com/articles/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/1303_Cover_Race.jpg

 

Whites, race, class, and the things that never get said.

 

 My younger son goes to Temple, where he’s a sophomore. This year he’s living in an apartment with two friends at 19th and Diamond, just a few blocks from campus. It’s a dangerous neighborhood. Whenever I go see Nick, I get antsy and wonder what I was thinking, allowing him to rent there.

One day, before I pick him up for lunch, I stop to talk to a cop who’s parked a block away from Nick’s apartment.

“Is he already enrolled for classes?” the cop says when I point out where my son lives.

Well, given that it’s December, I think so. But his message is clear: Bad idea, this neighborhood. A lot of burglaries and robberies. Temple students are prime prey, the cop says.

Later, driving up Broad Street as I head home to Mount Airy, I stop at a light just north of Lycoming and look over at some rowhouses. One has a padlocked front door. A torn sheet covering the window in that door looks like it might be stained with sewage. I imagine not a crackhouse, but a child, maybe several children, living on the other side of that stained sheet. Plenty of children in Philadelphia live in places like that. Plenty live on Diamond, where my son rents, where there always seem to be a lot of men milling around doing absolutely nothing, where it’s clearly not a safe place to be.

4 comments:

  1. in the sixtys if youmissed seeing a black person in nc and asked where they had gone.they would say"they went up the road".which meant they had gone to ny or philly etc for the welfare as they didnt get much here and they paid more up north some northen democrats in rebulican city recruited blacks from the south in the hopes that they could gain political power well they did.and guess what you yankees are welcome to them.your friend truckwilkins

    ReplyDelete
  2. Philly was better when the mob controlled it. As for all inner city cesspools...

    ReplyDelete