Sunday, March 17, 2013

Learning with Git-Some

 

 

 

An Approach to Poverty


Before I learned about poverty, I was just a country boy from up the holler in West Virginia, with twelve toes, and I guess I didn’t know much. Especially about poverty. When I got to Washington, DC, I decided that I ought to be poor. I just wish I’da started earlier.

It’s a good deal. You get lots of free stuff and you don’t have to work. If I had knowed about poverty when I was fourteen, and what a good thing it was, I’da give up my paper route. I mean, who in his right mind would get up at four-thirty in the morning in January, with eight inches of snow on the ground, and ride across lawns on a bike with four hundred pounds of the Wheeling Intelligencer in a basket, so people could read about crooked politicians and clip grocery coupons? And then I’d catch the school bus.

That teacher lady said I was pretty smart, and she hoped I’d go far, but I reckoned she’da been happy if I just went to the next country over.

When you got out of high school, you had to get a job, and get up mornings even if you didn’t want to, and do something all day that you probably didn’t like. Unless you were poor, and then you could sleep in and do what you wanted all day. I didn’t know it then, though.

Best thing if you want to be poor is to go to Washington, the Yankee Capital, and take up poverty. Then the feddle gummint gives you a house for free. It may not be the best house in the world. You probably don't have your own swimming pool like a football field. But it’s dry and warm and nothing wrong with it. And in the morning you can get up early, just to appreciate that you don’t have to, and watch all those other people go to work. They got better houses, sure. But they got to sit all day in little square boxes in offices and scratch on pieces of paper. You don’t, if you’re poor.

5 comments:

  1. I have a similar story from my uncle's wife, who just recently passed away at app. age 86.

    I remember riding her back as little boy as she would take me to the tobacco fields where we would work all morning. I remember the stories she would tell me as I marveled at a time long since gone.

    Angeline was from a small town named, Danbury, in the foothills of North Carolina. She told me a story once of when the county services came to her home and spoke to her mom. This was sometime right after WWII, when social services first went county wide in the state.

    Angeline's family had lost their dad several years previous and there was the mother and 5 girls (I think.)

    The county social agent came up one day while the children were playing. The person asked for their mother, and Angeline being about 10 at the time, went and got her mother.

    She over-heard the conversation from the social services person, them telling her mother they qualified as a poor family and could receive government help.

    The mother kindly turned them down saying she could manage alright.

    Angeline told me her thoughts, saying, "I didn't know we were poor?" "I thought we were in good shape, We never went hungry and always had something to do. Surly the government person was wrong?"

    All those children grew up and married nice "Christian" men. They had respectable families and contributed their part to society.

    Personally, for the life of me, I fail to see where these people were poor? Actually I see it quiet the opposite. I see these people as being extremely rich in morals and life, having the moral fortitude and Christian faith to make the most from their situation.

    The lesson learned is there are two ways to classify rich and poor. One way materially and the other spiritually. I'll leave it to the reader to decide on which type people determines which is the case for each circumstance.


    Michael-- Deo Vindicabamur

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brock,
    Just a few comments so you will know where I am coming from. Then you can determine what you would like to do with any of my posts and comments afterwards.

    Last 2 weeks I've been very sickly. Been to the ER 3 times. This time it has took some life out of me, as I'm not pulling up much at all. It's made me feel even more helpless in our quest and love for peace, justice and liberty. I feel as though I'm not able to do for all of you as I would hope and expect to do, and I feel badly over it.

    So far, over time, in our letters and comments we have pretty much stayed on the basics of law, history and the Christian faith. You've done an out-standing job of posting us what is happening to the country we used to have.(What we did have of it.)

    I or we can only write so much before it starts becoming redundant and people start feeling numb to so much negativity. It doesn't help much to continually stress the unconstitutionality of all these acts because people still becomes numb to too much of the same things.

    So, I'm gonna start commenting with you in a little different way. All people likes to hear stories and all the best generals always told stories to their men; did you know that?

    So, I am gonna start sharing videos and telling inspirational stories in hopes that people can better identify and associate what we are, our heritage, our faith and full identity by the stories and memories of our own people.

    The following is a YouTube video from Waylon Jennings, "I am a Rebel Soldier."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4TMLw3CuQM

    Look at the video and consider as you look at it, that is us there, that is our people. We fought and died in hopes that a day like today would never come, ..... but it has... We gave our all and it wasn't meant to be, and now we're paying again.... I ask all of you; Did God intend to continually have His people suffer for believing in Him? To this extent?

    Well, we're here and we see what is going on today. But know there is a reason for it. Know it is not in vain. No matter how bad, it is not in vain. Our ancestors did not die in vain either. They died for us, hoping and wishing us the best. And that is a very noble and righteous act being a Christian. They were only following their Christian upbringing, honoring those that had fallen before them. For the same things have been happening since God first created man and nations.

    It's been awhile since the war here physically stopped, too long... No place is immune from war, we're just due. The Tree of Liberty must be watered with blood from time to time. It's just part of the constant battle between good and evil.

    "So, here is a cup of brandy and a glass of wine. You drink to your love and I'll drink to mine. You drink to your love and I'll lament and mourn."

    There is an end!
    Micah 4:3

    Michael-- Deo Vindicabamur

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, I am gonna start sharing videos and telling inspirational stories in hopes that people can better identify and associate what we are, our heritage, our faith and full identity by the stories and memories of our own people.

      Good idea and a heartfelt post. Interesting in that I just saw, I'm A Good Old Rebel posted on Oleg's Friend's section which is mostly Russian.

      http://babahkabum.livejournal.com/638769.html

      Delete
    2. I forgot. I hope you are back on track soon.:)

      Delete