Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Reid plows ahead on gun control legislation

 http://zionstrumpet.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/harry-reid_joker.jpg

Democrats are confident they have the votes to bring gun control legislation to the Senate floor this week. But getting the votes to pass the bill later this month will be much harder.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) has not yet conducted a formal whip count, but at least eight Republican senators have said they will not attempt to block an effort to bring up the measure, a senior Democratic aide said.


Fifty-five senators caucus with the Democrats, and Reid acknowledged he might lose a few votes on his side of the aisle. During his weekly press conference Tuesday, Reid declined to make any bold predictions. Asked if he had the votes, Reid responded, “I don’t know.”

Behind the scenes, Reid and his lieutenants are convinced they have the 60 votes necessary to start the debate on the floor.

“He’s always been confident that he can get 60 votes,” the aide said.

The staffer noted statements by Republican Sens. John McCain (Ariz.), Dean Heller (Nev.), Johnny Isakson (Ga.), Lindsey Graham (S.C.), Susan Collins (Maine), Pat Toomey (Pa.), Mark Kirk (Ill.) and Kelly Ayotte (N.H.) indicating they would not support a filibuster of moving to the gun bill.

More @ The Hill

4 comments:

  1. Where is a good heart attack or aneurysm when you need them?
    Miss Violet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hear! Hear! Hey, I posted a picture concerning your comment on the Jitterbug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I was gone all day yesterday to CDA taking a handgun course....I love my rifle more, I've decided. Anyway, I went and looked at that post, thanks! I would love to learn to jitterbug, it looks like so much fun. My husband does not dance unless I get him likkered up and now that he's diabetic that doesn't happen any more!
      Miss Violet

      Delete
    2. love my rifle more, I've decided.
      :)!

      Guess once you get diabetes there is no cure?

      Delete