Thursday, August 1, 2013

Google 'Pressure Cookers' and 'Backpacks,' Get a Visit from the Cops

Via avordvet

 

Michele Catalano was looking for information online about pressure cookers. Her husband, in the same time frame, was Googling backpacks. Wednesday morning, six men from a joint terrorism task force showed up at their house to see if they were terrorists. Which prompts the question: How'd the government know what they were Googling?

Catalano (who is a professional writer) describes the tension of that visit.
[T]hey were peppering my husband with questions. Where is he from? Where are his parents from? They asked about me, where was I, where do I work, where do my parents live. Do you have any bombs, they asked. Do you own a pressure cooker? My husband said no, but we have a rice cooker. Can you make a bomb with that? My husband said no, my wife uses it to make quinoa. What the hell is quinoa, they asked. ...

Have you ever looked up how to make a pressure cooker bomb? My husband, ever the oppositional kind, asked them if they themselves weren’t curious as to how a pressure cooker bomb works, if they ever looked it up. Two of them admitted they did.
The men identified themselves as members of the "joint terrorism task force." The composition of such task forces depend on the region of the country, but, as we outlined after the Boston bombings, include a variety of federal agencies. Among them: the FBI and Homeland Security.

10 comments:

  1. One word

    Fougasse

    Terry
    Fla

    ReplyDelete
  2. This woman is a blogger and has been for a number of years I guess. She had commented on this whole thing on her twitter feed, here is one of the comments:
    "just want to say that the task force agents who visited my home today were nice and professional and just doing their jobs."

    I find it ironic and, admittedly, amusing,that people who "are worried" about government over reach, but work like hell to make sure they don't cross over the line to appear to be anti government, get all in a huff when they get zapped by government rules and/or minions and they get indignant, it makes me laugh and I want to say to them, "if you have done nothing wrong and have nothing to hide, you have nothing to be afraid of...." Or, at the very least, neener, neener, neener.
    ;)
    Miss Violet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "if you have done nothing wrong and have nothing to hide, you have nothing to be afraid of.

      ::) Precisely. By the way, have you been contacted yet on your recent terrorist threat.......?:)

      Delete
    2. Oh, you mean my Green Beans for Patriots Program? ;) I have 2-3 weeks for my green beans are ready, but yesterday I put up necterine jam and today I did whole cranberry sauce, plus I did my lard a couple of weeks ago...canning season is just getting started. Naw, they're probably holding out for when I can chili or ham. ;)
      Miss V

      Delete
    3. they're probably holding out for when I can chili or ham. ;)

      I'd fly over for green beans and chili.:) Getting ready to cook some Black Eye peas as the Smithfield ham I have been eating since Christmas has lost much of its flavor, but will be good for flavoring the peas. My wife makes a huge pot and I only eat Black Eye peas everyday from New Years until they're gone in about a week.:)

      Delete
    4. My mom always made black eye peas and ham and I make it too, usually served up with fried taters and cornbread.
      You know, when I was a kid my mom made a big old pot of beans or spaghetti, whatever, and we ate that for lunch and dinner until it was gone, it didn't matter if that was one day or ten. We were poor enough that usually the only sides were light bread (store bought), butter, & tabasco. When we were lucky we had cornbread or tortillas. :)
      Miss V

      Delete
    5. I fully agree, whatever you cook, eat until gone. I actually think leftovers taste better. I can still hear my mother "Think of all the starving children in China":) One thing for sure, you had to eat everything on your plate, period.

      Delete
  3. Does this mean I should quite googling how to make a flamethrower? I'm not a terrorist I just really don't like squirrels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naw, man shoot them with a .22 as they are good eatin'!

      Delete