Wednesday, August 7, 2013

The Final Report of James I. Waddell of the CSS Shenandoah.

http://css-alabama.com/images/sunday-showdown-large.jpg
 VERBATIM
The Shenandoah entered St. Georges Channel on the morning of the 5th of November, just 122 days from the Aleutian Islands, and the acting master, Irvine S. Bulloch, made an excellent landfall; he had not been able to rate the chronometers since leaving Melbourne, and could only conjecture their accuracy while she was in the Arctic Ocean, for we saw no land after leaving the Aleutian Islands until the beacon in St. Georges Channel was seen where it was looked for. We had sailed a distance of 23,000 miles without seeing land. The navigation is very beautiful when that fact is considered. I received a pilot after night, and when he was informed of the character of the steamer, he said. "I was reading but a few days ago of her being in the Arctic Ocean." I asked for American news. He said the war had gone against the South, and I directed him to take the ship into the River Mersey, that I might communicate with Her Majesty`s Government.

The quiet satisfaction of all countenances for the success in reaching a European port was unmistakeable, and I have no doubt a weight was removed from each heart, if I may be permitted to judge others by my own. I felt a great relief, because I felt I had done my duty toward the power which had placed me in that responsible position, my duty was next to those who had shared the perils and trials and privations of the cruise.

On the morning of the 6th of November, 1865, the Shenandoah steamed up the Mersey in a thick fog, under the Confederate flag, and the pilot, by my order, anchored her near H.B.M. ship of the line Donegal, commanded by Captain Paynter R.N.

Shortly after the anchored a lieutenant of the Donegal visited me to ascertain the name of the steamer and give me the official intelligence of the termination of the American war. He was very polite toward me and left me to beleive he felt a sympathy for us in our situation. The flag was then hauled down by my order at 10 a,m. on the 6th of November 1865. I addressed the communication to Her Britannic Majesty`s minister for foreign affairs. It was prepared on the night of the 5th of November, after receiving intelligence from the pilot. Of course the subject for such letter had been pondered over some days before.
 
The following day a gunboat came alongside the Shenandoah and made fast to her, customs officers took possession of her, and I relieved the officers and crew of all duty. The visit and detention of the gunboat was in consequence of an application from Mr. Adams, or his substitute, that the Shenandoah should be secured from getting to sea again. How absurd that must sound to the reader! It was intended to be an offense offered to a defeated but unconquered enemy; to men who had succeeded in disposing of the Shenandoah in a way not congenial to the Yankee nation. The ship and all on board were held by the authorities simply by far as confinement to the vessel; the only person upon whom an absolute restriction was placed was myself. 

I was informed that everybody should remain on board, and an order to that effect was given by me; but some officers and several of the crew voluntarily left the vessel with no intention to desert, which was discovered by the lieutenant commanding the gunboat, and he said pleasantly; !I don’t care if the lads do take a run on shore after night as long as I do not know about it." He then mentioned the officers who had gone on shore, and I informed him I knew nothing of it and regretted to learn that anyone had done so> "Oh," said he, “you won’t leave the vessel I know, so it don`t matter about the others going on a bit of a lark." I was several timnes invited to go on board his gunboat, but I invariably refused to leave the vessel, I would leave on only one condition, which was the surrender being received I would be at liberty to go wher I pleased; otherwise I must be taken out of her a prisoner. Captain Paynter visited me sometimes twice a day and expressed his approval of the good conduct exhibited by those who had so recently been under my command under the painful circumstance of our situation. "It is," said he "the result of discipline and confidence in your rectitude."

On the 8th of November 10 officers, 14 acting appointments, and 109 enlisted men, which constituted the Shenandoah`s crew, were unconditionally released. The customs officials inspected our baggage more in hunt of tobacco than treasure, I suppose. My baggage was very closely examined, but that proceeded more from my directions concerning itthan any desire on the part of the officials to be impertinently inquisitive. I had neither thoughts nor stores to conceal from anyone. I presented my tumblers, decanters and bedding, with a few trophies from the islands, to the wife of the lieutenant commanding, in care of whose husband I was left, as a souvenir of our acquaintance. He was a good fellow, and was faithful in the discharge of his duty. Before leaving the steamer, I transferred all captured money, as will be seen by this copy of the following receipt. 

The late officers and men of the steamer were taken to Great George Landing, Liverpool, after night at the expense of Her Majesty`s Government. I thank Captain Paynter for his kindness to me, and for the interest he showed by his manner in us. During his visits he asked many questions of me for the benefit of the admiralty.

The Shenandoah was actually cruising but eight months after the enemy`s property, during which time she made thirty-eight captures, an average of a fraction over four per month.
She released six on bond, and destroyed thirty-two.

She visited every ocean except the Antarctic Ocean.

She was the only vessel which carried the flag around the world, and she carried it six months after the overthrow of the South.

She was surrendered to the British nation on 6th November 1865.

The last gun in defense of the South was fired from her deck on 22nd of June, Arctic Ocean.
She ran a distance of 58,000 statute miles and met with no serious injury during a cruise of thirteen months.

Her anchors were on her bows for eight months.

She never lost a chase, and was second only to the celebrated Alabama. 

I claim for her officers and men a triumph over their enemies and over every obstacle, and for myself I claim having done my duty.

2 comments:

  1. Fascinating, I have heard of the Shenandoah but did not realize she flew the flag for 6 months after the war was over.

    ReplyDelete