Sunday, October 13, 2013

NC: Railey says some journalists do know about guns

 Shot

Many gun-control opponents are quick to call members of the press naive, at best, about guns. Yes, some reporters are.

But the cartoon that runs with this column goes too far. Many, if not most, of us journalists know the difference between an assault rifle and a handgun. And a whole lot more.


I love guns. I am the proud owner of several shotguns and a .22-caliber rifle. I’d have more guns if I could. There’s an old joke: How many guns do you need? One more.

Other newspapermen share my feelings, including Scott Sexton, the Journal’s metro columnist.

I love talking guns with him and others. I love to talk barrel lengths, chokes, rifling, bullet grain sizes, and shotgun shell-pellet sizes (from birdshot to buckshot). I can tell you how short a shotgun barrel can be legally sawed off (18 inches; I had one done), and I know the difference between semi-automatic rifles (legal) and fully automatic ones (illegal unless you get a special federal permit).

I can talk about how a heavier shotgun has a lesser recoil shock, or kick, than a lighter one, and how rubber recoil pads can relieve the pain.

4 comments:

  1. The Journal commenters aren't having it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Journal is just a big a piece of $hit as the Record! In the 90s I personally knew a few of the editors there. At best, the authors statement is half true due to the fact this is the South and most people are somewhat more familiar with firearms. Try up North upper Midwest and West Coast and his article doesn't hold water.... Combined with the Elite dictating what is printed and the people they hire, and it doesn't hold water in the entire country except for some independent newspapers.

    Michael-- Deo Vindicabamur

    ReplyDelete