Thursday, November 7, 2013

A run like no other: Triumphant touchdown transcends competition

Via The Lonely Libertarian

 Kenbriel Hearn (6), second from right, holds hands with Memphis High School football teammates during a pregame prayer. Hearn, sidelined due to complications from a brain tumor, ran in a touchdown Friday night in the closing seconds of a game against Stratford High School.   

Kenbriel Hearn (6), second from right, holds hands with Memphis High School football teammates during a pregame prayer. Hearn, sidelined due to complications from a brain tumor, ran in a touchdown Friday night in the closing seconds of a game against Stratford High School.

Unbeaten and state Class 1A power Stratford led Memphis, 35-0, with about 30 seconds left Friday night. This idea of Memphis coach Andy Correll, which seemed almost outlandish eight weeks ago, just might work.

He called timeout and met with Stratford coach Eddie Metcalf at midfield.

Correll already had broached the idea with Metcalf via email earlier in the week. Correll knew he would need his and the Elks’ cooperation to make it work.

But, now, with Stratford having held his team scoreless, Correll wasn’t so sure.

“I said, ‘Coach, I don’t know now,’” Correll said. “Your boys have played too hard to allow him to score. Maybe he could just run for 10 yards or so.”

Metcalf didn’t want to hear any more.

“Coach Correll was telling me that I don’t want to ruin your shutout,” Metcalf said, “and I told him that didn’t mean anything, that what you’re doing for that kid is more important than zeroes on the scoreboard.

“I said, ‘I’m going to tell our defense they better not touch him, so unless he trips and falls, he’s going to score,’” Metcalf said.

Metcalf went back to give his defense the unusual instructions. Correll told the confused Memphis offense that Kenbriel Hearn was going in at running back, and this was the play to run and lead him into the end zone.

“Coach told us that we play for more than just winning, and that I was going in and getting the ball,” Hearn said. “I thought I was just suited up for moral support. Coach told me to go do my thing. The announcer called my name. The crowd went crazy, and I thought, ‘Man, my mom is going to be mad at me.’”

Life’s audible

More with video @ Amarillo

2 comments:

  1. I saw Coach Metcalf's team play in 2008 for the state championship in Abilene, Texas. Stratford faced a much faster team that had a D-1 prospect running back. Coach Metcalf's team won. The Stratford players were exceptionally disciplined. They were slower than the other team, but they always played their position. And that, of course, is because they were very well coached.

    Kudos to both Coach Metcalf and Coach Correll. This is football at it's best.

    ReplyDelete