Sunday, January 5, 2014

The Heart Of Dixie


My first car was a '59 Galaxie two-door. My father was purchasing a '63 Galaxie so I traded a piano, that I had inherited from my aunt, to my mother for my father's old car. My mother gave the piano to Emmanuel Episcopal Church which placed it in their parish hall which later burned down and the only item that wasn't damaged was the piano!

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/3/3411511_ca571ca40c_b.jpg 


This Parish has suffered heavily during the war. Farms have been laid waste, barns burned, dwellings pillaged, and more, many valuable lives lost. Among the departed it is proper to mention Col. Jon. A. Washington and Col. Thos. Marshall, both vestrymen of the parish, both gallant men and sincere Christians, slain in battle.

"The members of the parish are much reduced in means: and the Church buildings were much injured by the Union troops. All three Churches were sadly defaced and two of them now stand mere naked walls roofed over. But the prospect of the parish is encouraging and we hope soon to have all three buildings in good order."

- The Parish Register (1861-1866)

No comments:

Post a Comment