Saturday, October 25, 2014

Epic Sperm Whale Hunt Captured On Camera

This video from BBC Earth is just a three minute clip of an eight hour battle that took place to get this whale to shore. Indonesian fishermen risk their lives to capture this massive creature, but the rewards are great. A successful whale hunt will feed the entire village for months, and by only taking a handful of whales a year, these villagers are not posing a threat to the existing whale population.

They are simply fishing for survival. 

2 comments:

  1. Can anyone ever be truly objective about whales? Long ago, and far away when I lived in Gainesville, home of the Gators, my neighbor was a PhD guy studying whales. He had the misfortune of trying to do his research right about the time that Star Trek movie came out that equated the Humpback with Jesus as Savior of the World. My neighbor had to move out of state after that movie. He told me that most whales are no more intelligent than a cud-chewing cow. I guess we can say that for a lot of humans, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we can say that for a lot of humans, too. ;)

      :)

      Delete