Sunday, October 12, 2014

Man Armed With Sawed-Off Mosin-Nagant Engages Officer in Shootout, Dies.

 A very refined Mosin-Nagant cut down into a pistol. Original source unknown.

A South Tucson police officer responding to a “shots fired” call about 1:30 AM early Friday morning came under fire from a suspect armed with some sort of cut-down Mosin-Nagant.
South Tucson Police say when an officer arrived he saw a man and turned his car to check him out. Next thing he knows that officer is taking fire.  Several shots hit his vehicle and one takes out one of his tires.
Police said the man had a powerful military rifle of a type the Soviets used to use.
The Mosin-Nagant design is about 120 years old but it fires a bigger bullet than the modern M-16.
South Tucson Police say their officer faced one sawed down to have a short barrel and stock.
They say their officer could not get to the rifle in his trunk so he fired his handgun and was able to kill the man from about 65 feet away.
More @ Bearing Arms

12 comments:

  1. Just a few days ago I read an article about how Mosin Nagants were being cut down like that. I don't know, it might have been something linked here. Anyway, they made the point in the article that a cut down Mosin barrel is too short to spin the bullet up and stabilize it so apparently the bullet comes out tumbling or wobbling. Makes a nasty hole.

    I guess now they'll want to come get all of our pre-WWII rifles. I'll show them where mine fell in the river when the boat turned over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll show them where mine fell in the river when the boat turned over.

      I have the M44 carbine.

      Delete
  2. My wrist hurts just thinking about firing some thing like that. By the way, no need to chop a Mosin Nagant down like that, is why they make hand guns. Duh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wrist hurts just thinking about firing some thing like that.

      Seemed like the recoil was handled well, though.

      Delete
  3. Kinda look neat? but having just put ~100 rounds through my M41 - I sure as shit wouldn't want a pistol version of it.. :'-( lol.

    Couple notes though - did you notice the couched hysteria?
    "The Mosin-Nagant design is about 120 years old but it fires a bigger bullet than the modern M-16. " OMG IT'S BIGGER!!!!!

    Also - 'several rounds'? I was going to make a comment about the guy being good at bolt action cycling but after reading - I'll skip em,
    "He says in about ten minutes he heard much more, maybe eight shots as an officer fought for his life."

    In ~10 minutes on the range recently, I think I went through 30-40 rounds... different situations obviously but still...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kinda look neat? but having just put ~100 rounds through my M41 - I sure as shit wouldn't want a pistol version of it.. :'-( lol.

      M44?

      =====

      did you notice the couched hysteria? "The Mosin-Nagant design is about 120 years old but it fires a bigger bullet than the modern M-16. " OMG IT'S BIGGER!!!!!

      Sure did and loved it!


      Delete
    2. Yeah - I fat fingered that one - I've got a 91/30 - not sure where the M41 came from -sheesh.

      Delete
    3. :) As soon as I saw that I thought, man he must know something that I don't! :)

      Delete
  4. While it may look cool the functionality is seriously compromised. Accuracy is gone and working the bolt is awkward at best. Shoot right handed, then transfer weapon to left hand, cycle the bolt action, finally transfer gun back to right hand and fire again.

    Badger

    ReplyDelete