Monday, January 19, 2015

Today North Carolina Recognizes the Birth Date of General Robert E. Lee -- 19 January 1807

http://hmscivilwarproject.wikispaces.com/file/view/Lee_sitting.jpg/144986819/263x316/Lee_sitting.jpg

A Legal Holiday in the State Since 1894

President Dwight Eisenhower said of Lee in 1960:

“General Robert E. Lee was, in my estimation, one of the supremely gifted men produced by our Nation. He believed unswervingly in the Constitutional validity of his cause . . . was thoughtful yet demanding of his officers and men, forbearing with captured enemies but ingenious, unrelenting and personally courageous in battle, and never disheartened by a reverse or obstacle. Through all his many trials, he remained selfless almost to a fault and unfailing in his belief in God.

Taken altogether, he was noble as a leader and as a man, and unsullied as I read the pages of our history. From deep conviction I simply say this: a nation of men of Lee’s caliber would be unconquerable in spirit and soul.”

British General Viscount Garnet Wolseley said of Lee:

“I believe he will be regarded not only as the most prominent figure of the Confederacy, but as the Great American of the nineteenth century, whose statue is well worthy to stand on an equal pedestal with that of Washington, and whose memory is equally worthy to be enshrined in the hearts of all his countrymen. This estimate is based upon a criticism of his character as a man, a soldier, and a Christian citizen. As a thinker and man of intellectual powers little has been said of him, and yet, intellectual power, associated with moral purity, are the true spring of greatness.”

At the annual observance of Lee’s birth date in 1892, Richmond’s Mayor Ellyson said:

[Today we] honor to the memory of one of Virginia's noble sons. Robert E. Lee is forever enshrined in the hearts of his countrymen, and as we contemplate his virtues and heroism we are made better and purer men, [and] whose noblest aspiration in life found its [most complete] realization in the doing of his duty to his God, and his fellow man.

There is no danger, comrades, that the men who wore the grey will ever prove recreant to the principles that actuated them in time of war, but there is danger that our children may, and so we wish on these recurring anniversaries to tell of the chivalrous deeds of such leaders as Lee, Jackson, Stuart and Pickett, and to teach coming generations that the soldiers of the Southern Confederacy were not rebels, but were Americans who loved liberty as something dearer than life itself."

22 comments:

  1. RIP Robert E Lee. Stars and Bars Forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brock, my Aunt Carol Lee was a direct descendant of this fine Gentleman! I'm proud That my children have him as an ancestor.

      Delete
    2. I would be also, Sir. I have a picture of Lee & His Generals which was given to me by his granddaughter who came to my father's funeral in 1986. I have always stated that her attendance was more appreciated than anyone else in the world would have been.

      Delete
  2. I remember Lee/Jackson day,not this PC bull$h17!Gen.Lee was of a caliber we can only aspire to.To paraphrase him,(a few years after the war)If I had known what the union would do to the south I would have never surrendered and died with my sword in my hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God bless Robert E. Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My never to be humble opinion is that Robert E Lee was one of the greatest Americans this country has ever produced. He is THE standard for all men regardless of age to strive for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. God bless you General! As a yankee (don't hold it against me that I was born in NY PLEASE!) the schools told us from when we were small that southerners were wrong. Even at an early age, I never bought into this as it just didn't make sense. I looked at pictures of the General and admired his uniform and there was something about how he looked that I found inspiring.
    I like this website because a great deal of southern history appears here in various columns and I never got anything like it when I was growing up. Having said that, I have children now and want them to appreciate the contributions of southerners, especially people like Lee. Is there a specific site I can go to to download these articles and print them out so my kids can read them? I'd be much obliged thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and you can print any here or on NamSouth if you like,as they come from many sources.

      Delete
    2. Thank you my good man and please be safe

      Delete
  6. To that quote from General Lee saying he would never have surrendered and died with his sword in his hand had he known how the Union would treat the South.... I wonder if that's why only good things are written about Lee, because he did surrender and let the war end. I have never seen anything negative said or written about Lee. He quit and he didn't let his men commit atrocities like the Yankees did. Had he fought to the death, would history treat him the same? Just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately many do call him a traitor today, but back then, once an officer resigned, he was not accountable for his oath previously taken. There were northerners in the Confederate army also. Lee was pleaded with to tell the men to go to the hills and fight a guerrilla war, but he refused.

      Lest Darkness Fall
      http://www.namsouth.com/viewtopic.php?t=4218&highlight=appomattox
      "While walking along Harrison Creek, where the advance from Ft. Stedman stalled in the face of overwhelming numbers, my thoughts turned to what we have lost. American Liberty, the very founding principles of the United States were following the advance and retreat of this battle. The results are very sad. When this line of Grey crumpled and began retreating, I am sure sadness was felt by men such as Thomas Jefferson, Patrick Henry and George Mason, for their great sacrifices and wisdom was what was at stake. Looking down upon the ebb and tide of this battle, they would have known that their creation, American Liberty, had lost.

      Delete
    2. "...they would have known that their creation, American Liberty, had lost.."

      ...and never regained, in my opinion.

      Delete
  7. I am proud to be from one of the five states that observe the General's birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "and to teach coming generations that the soldiers of the Southern Confederacy WERE NOT REBELS, but were Americans who loved liberty as something dearer than life itself."
    That is the truth of the matter cut right to the bone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the truth of the matter cut right to the bone.

      Well said, Sir.

      Delete
  9. The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette newspaper ALWAYS run their full editorial page on Robert E. Lee. No more-no less. God bless his memory and may we have more men like him........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great and I'd like to be wrong, but I don't there will be another.

      Delete