Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Once in danger of collapse, two historic barns are restored in King William

Via Sister Anne

http://www.trbimg.com/img-5511c1bf/turbine/va-tr-pictures-prestley-park-20150324-021/571/571x388
One of  my Grandfather James L. Townsend's Farms and the picture from my teen years.

A few hundred feet off Route 360 on the way to Manquin, a shock of fresh red paint marks the restoration of a county landmark that holds nearly a century of history and a smaller barn that's more than twice as old.

Dilapidated and in need of repair, both Prestley Barn and the Old Virginia Barn were falling into ruin until a December 2013 transaction offered the historic structures a second chance to shine. Emily Townsend, wife of William Guy Townsend, (My uncle) whose family owned the property for about 65 years, answered the call from local preservationist Carroll Lee Walker.

"He called up that day in December and said, 'Ms. Emily, I've got an option to buy Prestley Park,' " she said. "He made my day."

More @ Tidewater Review

**********************************

My Book - ONE MAN'S FOOTSTEPS

This is a small paperback, about my life. Born in 1936, growing up during WW II on a farm here in Virginia, my time on this earth has been challenging, exciting and full of wonderful experiences. My college English (composition) teacher must be turning over in her grave, I was a "C" student - I have managed to write and communicate in an uncomplicated way.

The book is $17.50 total, if mailed. My address: W. Guy Townsend 661 Richmond Tapp Hwy Manquin, VA 23106. E-mail: wguyemilie@wildblue.net  (I enjoyed it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment