Thursday, April 9, 2015

Generation Ice Flow: Combating Ageism

 Image result for Generation Ice Flow: Combating Ageism

Some time ago I met an older woman – my guess, in her 60’s – who had just been let go from her position. She had a PhD in optics, and was clearly bright, capable, and able to work effectively. And she knew, the desperation in her eyes spoke clearly, that any job she could get would likely involved some version of “Do you want fries with that?”.

Last summer I had lunch with an older friend whom I’ve known for years. After mutually commiserating in our lack-of-work status, he referred to his age and said “I know I’ll never work again”. MIT-educated at both the Bachelors and Masters level, and bi-lingual in Spanish, you’d think he be in demand. Nope. Another lunch conversation with someone who has just hit “The Big Five-O” was similar. Intelligent, capable, and accomplished, he is doing everything right per the “job search experts” – volunteering, having a part-time job, networking, losing weight and exercising, and furthering his education… and while he gets the occasional interview, he gets no offers.

More @ Linked In

9 comments:

  1. Im so glad I learned a trade instead of earning a piece of paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly what I recommend to young people today, that and do not join the Armed Services.

      Delete
    2. I may get to the age I cant do what I do anymore, but someone has to teach the young ones how to. And it cant be taught in a classroom.

      Delete
    3. it cant be taught in a classroom.

      Agreed.

      Delete
  2. Amazing blog and very interesting stuff you got here! I definitely learned a lot from reading through some of your earlier posts as well and decided to drop a comment on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Author's note: I love being an engineer, but "if I could go back and do it again" I'd probably still get a piece of paper, but would also go into plumbing and heating, and start my own company once I became licensed.

    Either that, or indulge my love of dinosaurs and become a paleontologist. ;) Or my interest in cephalopods and study octopus and squid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take over community activism from the young people. That will teach them.

    or start your own business.

    ReplyDelete