Islamabad writer Dr. Farrukh Saleem pointed out in 2005 indisputable facts about the Islamic world.
Combined, 57 Islamic countries are the world’s poorest and most illiterate:
- The GDP of 57 Muslim countries is less than $2 trillion;
- Muslims comprise roughly 22 percent of the world’s population but only produce less than 5 percent of global GDP;
- 20 percent of Arabs live on less than $2 per day;
- The average growth rate of per capita income in the Arab world hovers around .5 percent per year [worse than everywhere else except for sub-Saharan Africa];
- 60 percent of Muslims worldwide are illiterate;
- 50 percent of Arab women cannot read.
More @ Constitution