Monday, April 18, 2016

Respond: Can One Knife Do it All? The Perfect Knife Quest Update

 

We here at GunsAmerica can get pretty passionate about the blades in our pockets or on our hips.

And why should that be a surprise? Our knives are utilitarian tools and backup defensive weapons.

 I’ve been carrying a gun for years, but I grew up with knives. I began EDC of a pocket knife when I earned the rank of Eagle Scout at age 13. I didn’t give a shit that my middle school and high school didn’t allow knives. I simply kept it concealed and stayed out of trouble.

As a devotee of all things cutting edge, I really enjoy knife reviews. But to what end? Odds are very few of us will ever take a fixed blade knife to the point of failure. And the nicest knives on the market these days cost more than some guns, and even though they’re built to withstand the Apocalypse, they never leave their original boxes, and stay safely tucked up in the safe.

More @ Guns America

2 comments:

  1. It depends on your location I guess. Where I live, the rurals are predominantly hard woods with the largest big game (nilgain / feral hog) dressing out about 400 lbs. So game processing can be done with a small blade, certainly no more than 5" is required for that.

    Factor in thorny vegetation requiring a long blade - machete is more needed for vegetation. Hatchet does little good against vines. Battoning for split wood - not gonna happen without high risk of blade damage.

    Can one blade do pretty well - yes. But all - I don't think so, not at least where I live.

    ReplyDelete