Sunday, March 19, 2017

Tillerson: ‘I Spend My Time Working On This Airplane,’ Defends Not Bringing Press Corps

Via Billy

U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson walks with Marc Knapper, U.S. Embassy Seoul Chargé d’Affaires ad interim, and Gen. Vincent K. Brooks, U.S. Forces Korea commander, upon arriving at Osan Air Base outside of Seoul, South Korea, on March 17, 2017. [State Department photo/ Public Domain]

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson does not intend to have frequent bull sessions with press aboard his plane while in office, The Independent Journal Review reports.

The U.S. diplomatic press corps was deeply angered when the Department of State announced it did not intend on bringing any members of the press corps aboard the secretary’s aircraft. “The State Department Correspondents’ Association is disappointed that Secretary Tillerson chose to travel this week to North Asia without a full contingent of the diplomatic press corps or even a pool reporter,” the group said in a statement.

Tillerson defended his action, saying, “There’s this long tradition that the Secretary spends time on the plane with the press. I don’t know that I’ll do a lot of that. I’m just not … that’s not the way I tend to work. That’s not the way I tend to spend my time. I spend my time working on this airplane.”

No comments:

Post a Comment