Monday, August 21, 2017

If You Could Only Own One Rifle: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle .450 Bushmaster — Full Review

 

Ammo is expensive.

I don’t usually put much stock in marketing slogans, but in this case, I think Ruger nailed it. Their new Gunsite Scout Rifle in .450 Bushmaster is a fantastic all-around firearm, offering the power to take down large game and the maneuverability to carry in the thickest brush.

The .450 Bushmaster is one of three “thumper” rounds most commonly chambered in the AR-15 platform (the .458 SOCOM and the .50 Beowulf complete the trio). The quest for the perfect AR-15 cartridge is ongoing, but that hasn’t stopped manufacturers from implementing these powerful rounds in other platforms.

Ruger currently offers two models chambered in .450 Bushmaster: an iteration of their American Ranch series and the one I tested, the Gunsite Scout.

6 comments:

  1. Nice gun for shooting bear, rhinos and gorillas. Overkill for most everything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Overkill for most everything else.

      I have no idea how he came up with this as your only rifle. Must have been drinking. :)

      Delete
  2. I've hunted for nearly 40 years with the somewhat similar Remington 600 carbine in .308 Winchester and have never wanted for more power. Then again - our largest big game are wild hog - nilgai, no bears whatsoever.

    I do agree with carrying characteristics - short and handy is nice in the brush and confined spaces. Loud is part of the equation though.

    I have a .350 Rem. Magnum 600 as well and with some pretty substantial recoil and very high ammunition price (about $50 a box of 20 last time I looked), it doesn't get taken out much. I'm not mad enough to shoot anything with it, lol.

    As stated above - nice rifle but the cartridge for us is a bit much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the cartridge for us is a bit much.

      Wonder what this does to the price if you reload?

      Delete
  3. I like my old 45-70 lever gun, when you need overkill - it fits the bill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. when you need overkill - it fits the bill.

      Overkill is better than the opposite. :)

      Delete