Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Trump's debt deal kicks the can — and Republicans — down the road

Via Billy

http://cdn.washingtonexaminer.biz/cache/1060x600-0d0c83f721387a9e4fe7bc09493fdf09.jpg

On Wednesday, President Trump struck a deal with Democratic leaders to raise the debt ceiling. The agreement will fund the government up to December 15th and provide emergency assistance to those affected by Hurricane Harvey.

Trump is upbeat, "We essentially came to a deal, and I think the deal will be very good."
But not everyone is happy.

After all, many Republicans include House Speaker Paul Ryan are upset with this agreement, believing that the hurricane funding should have been appropriated separate from a debt ceiling increase. They worry that by failing to extract any spending cuts from Democrats, this debt increase will fuel the exploding national debt. Their concerns are justified.

6 comments:

  1. The last American hero is faltering. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine his main goal and those who are advising him is do whatever he can and still win in 2020, because that would be huge if he does.

      Delete
  2. I think Trump's in a trap currently on debt.

    The hurricanes are just too strong. It looks to me like he's doing the mostly correct thing here.

    I again would cut foreign policy to save money. Trump's having to balance populism. And if he looks too much like a tax cut Republican, he could lose supporters.

    That's my perception. I'm no expert :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I again would cut foreign policy to save money.

      Absolutely.

      Delete
  3. I hate Paul Ryan's obsession with tax cuts for his donors while he sells out America on every other issue, again for his donors.

    Though I also want tax cuts. So, I'm somewhat conflicted :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate Paul Ryan's obsession with tax cuts for his donors while he sells out America on every other issue, again for his donors.

      Exactly why he complained.

      Delete