Monday, May 14, 2018

Southern Identity in the 21st Century

 

What exactly does it mean to be a Southerner in the 21st Century? Is it spending countless hours finding out who your Confederate ancestor is and joining up with the local Sons of Confederate Veterans? Or is it driving around town with a Confederate flag bumper sticker on the back of your pickup truck? Or maybe it’s being “that guy” that spends countless hours setting the internet on fire with endless online debates over whether the South was right in the War Between the States?

This was a question I was recently asking myself after reading I’ll Take My Stand, an extremely thought-provoking collection of essays from twelve Southerners first published almost 90 years ago.

2 comments:

  1. Very good question that I ask myself several times a year. So far no specific answer and that is truly troubling. The closest I can come is a tie to tradition and with that the continuation, however thin, of a thread of cultural norms and behaviors - politeness, self-reliance, quiet confidence, willingness to assist others in need and so forth. But I wish there were a binding of Southernhood that was independent of caricature and disbonded from the era of Jim Crow and segregation, a quality like a uniform that provides voluntary identification.
    "I'll Take My Stand", noted in today's posts, is a very good example of statements of philosophy that set the South apart from its neighbors. But the agrarian tradition that the contributors identified with is no longer a core of Southern life. Replacing an identifying lifestyle with a philosophy is the challenge here.
    Good point and thank you for bringing it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I'll Take My Stand", noted in today's posts, is a very good example of statements of philosophy that set the South apart from its neighbors. But the agrarian tradition that the contributors identified with is no longer a core of Southern life.

      Such a shame and thanks.

      Delete