Monday, October 8, 2018

Private Bob Shine and the M3A1 Grease Gun: Desperate, Ugly, Awesome

 
 
Two of many weapons I had to leave in Vietnam which are now at the bottom of a well and the government refused to pay me for them as they weren't authorized. Paid for my '52 Citroen though. :) The End Of A Republic
On a cold day in January of 1945, an American Infantry Private named Bob Shine was ordered to assault uphill to seize a fighting position occupied by three young German Volkssturm troopers near Salmchateau, Belgium. Shine and two comrades quickly prepared for the mission. These three troopers typically carried .30-06 M1 rifles but appreciated that these long heavy weapons would be less than ideal tools for a chaotic close-range assault. Trading among other members of their unit all three took up M3 Grease Guns. The greasers were relatively new and ugly as sin, but they could be relied upon to provide a proper volume of heavy automatic fire.

8 comments:

  1. Wouldn't that make a great truck-carry gun? Always wanted one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We gave the ARVN many so I suspect there are still a few around. In 1992 I noticed some local forces had a M2 Carbine and I asked if I could pick it up as I had left one on evacuation and the kid said yes. :)

      Delete
    2. They use .45 pistol ammo, right? --Ron W

      Delete
  2. I had to chuckle at the soldier holding a Nazi flag. He's cammied up, but wearing starched utilities and his boots are shined.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This picture was in another article I posted recently but can't find it now and searching for the image only gives one result. Strange.

      Delete
  3. Dad said he really liked the M3, back at Uncle Sam's Summer Camp.

    ReplyDelete