Friday, May 17, 2019

Dog Training: Setting a Plan for Success


When starting the foundation program for your pup, it is important to set clear expectations for what you want from your pup.  It is important to write down clear goals for what you want to achieve so you can track them. Having clearly stated goals will tell you if you need to spend extra time with your dog doing more drills to meet one of those goals, or if you need to add to your goal list.

When breaking down the stages of the Hunt Smith puppy development program, there are clear steps to follow. I found that the one factor that brought the most consistent success for my expectations was doing the same drills in many different social scenarios. This not only reinforced cues but also gave me added confidence in my handling. Working with my dog in different environments also helped me to identify the smaller details of refusal. Adding in extra distractions during training was the key to having my shorthairs’ obedience to the level where they could join me in my day-to-day routine.

More @ Guns America

No comments:

Post a Comment