Wednesday, December 11, 2019

A Reply to the The Washington Post Op-Ed by Professors Brock, Horowitz, and Michelmore: The W&L Spectator

Via Susan Lee

Image result for reply to the The Washington Post Op-Ed by Professors Brock, Horowitz, and Michelmore  
By James I. Greene ‘60,
I have read the September 6, 2018, op-ed, published in The Washington Post, written by three Washington & Lee University history professors.  As a result, I have some pointed questions, and since the professors claim to be open to discussion, let’s discuss.
My questions occur, first, because I am a proud graduate of W&L, and second, because I am a teacher of adult education at SMU.
I understand that the purpose of the op-ed was to explain that judgments can and should be made about historical events. 
But the underlying question remains: Who’s to make those judgments--the professors or the students?  The article implies it is the obligation of the professor to assess moral judgments about past events.
But is it? 
 More @ W&L Spectator

No comments:

Post a Comment