Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Buttermilk Fried Squirrel with Southern Gravy

Via Wirecutter

 Fried Squirrel


How to Skin a Squirrel in 1 Minute

August in Kentucky was always a special time of year when I was growing up. The waning days of summer meant squirrel season was about to open, and that hunting season in general was upon us. Many a morning was spent patrolling the woods around our farm, and many a fine meal resulted. Squirrel meat has been held in high regard by American diners since the days of Lewis and Clark. Even James Beard, in his classic “American Cookery”, wrote,
"Squirrel has been written about rapturously for years. And it has long been associated with elegant dining as well as with the simple food of the trapper and the nomad.”

Fast forward 30 or so years and squirrel season has once again taken a front-row seat.

                                                               More @ Real Tree

11 comments:

  1. "You know that she's the one if she can climb a tree like a squirrel, and shoot a gun". I heard that somewhere, maybe on the Beverly Hillbillys Show. I have a mental image of Ellie Mae every time I remember it. But, I have to say that I really like squirrel meat, but especially squirrel gravy over biscuits with a couple of fried eggs. Our squirrel season here in AZ. only lasts two months, Oct-Dec. Deer and Elk seasons and the irate draw tag holders get kind of offended when you are out there blasting squirrels during their Big Game hunt. Understandably So!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, I don't do tree rats.

    I will do other small animals but not squirrel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yummy and the rats that inhabit the rice fields in Vietnam are also good.

      Delete
  3. I haven't eaten squirrel in a long time, but I remember enjoying our squirrel harvest hunting with my Dad in the wooded hills here in Middle Tennessee back in the late 50's. I killed my first squirrel with a Harrington Richardson Topper M-48, 16 ga single shot. We'd clean'em and my Mom would fry'em up with mashed potatoes, green peas and cat head biscuits. They were as good or better'n fried chicken except for having to spit a lead shot into your plate. --Ron W

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I handed that Harrington Richardson off to a grandson, but I don't think he cares about it that much. He's more into his AR-15...which is fine. But I do have my Granddaddy's Iver Johnson 16 ga. full choke which can reach reach out and get some squirrels if I ever go out to shoot a few. --Ron W

      Delete
  4. Always a GREAT SIDE DISH with a pan of cornbread:

    https://canadafreepress.com/article/black-eyed-peas1

    Time for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make a huge pot of Back-Eyed peas for New Years(Smithfield ham and the obligatory twenty five cents somewhere in it) and eat it twice a day until it's gone which is about a week and I still want more! :)

      Delete