Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Gilbert, Edmund Scientific, and the Post-War Flowering of American Techno-Industrial Virtuosity: A Pre-Enstupidation View

Via Fred

 

It was 1953 in the white newly prosperous suburbs of Arlington, Virginia, just outside the Yankee Capital. I was eight, having been born, like so many of my small compatriots, nine months and fifteen minutes after our fathers got home from the war. These men, my father anyway, had spent years in the Pacific, being torpedoed at and watching Hellcat fighters screaming off wooden decks, and seeing ships sink. What they wanted now was lawn mowers, lawns, children, and a life as boring as possible. They got them.

We kids did not know that we were at the cusp of an explosion of technological mastery. We were, though. In addition to me there was Michel Duquez, dark-haired, raffish, and of Frog extraction, who would later die fighting for the French Foreign Legion in the Silent Quarter of Arabia. Or if he didn’t, he should have. And there was John Kaminski, or Mincemeat, blond and crewcut, who could spit out of the side of his mouth with casual aplomb the way Humphrey Bogart did, or would have if he had spit much.

More @ UNZ

8 comments:

  1. Does this bring back memories, as a kid growing up, I had a microscope to see the invisible world, chemistry set to invent and discover, erector set to build, a telescope to see the stars. And not just me, all my friends, an entire generation of kids learning to learn. We were self-taught to love science and engineering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful. I had an erector set and my brother had a chemistry one.

      Delete
  2. I got a Gilbert chemistry set for Christmas around 1954. The case was metal and opened into 4 leaves that contained chemicals that would definitely be banned in the government mandated: "can't have it'll hurt you" world of today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "can't have it'll hurt you" world of today.

      Really. I was 10.

      Delete
  3. I failed to receive the much desired gilbert advanced chemistry set for christmas. My father was wise and experienced. that particular year I had checked out several books over time on the subjects of chemical explosives and exoctic rocket fuels. Oh. he knew where that was going to go...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I received an erector set for Christmas when about 8, one of my favorite things. It had an electric motor which was powered by two D batteries with pulleys and rubber bands. I guess my Daisy BB gun, one of the older ones either a wood stock, was my favorite which I would practice shooting from the hip like Lucas McCain. --Ron W

    ReplyDelete