Sunday, January 17, 2021

“Not Since Hermann Destroyed the Roman Legions”

 

The Wilderness battle was fought July 1-3, 1864: 104,000 Union troops versus 61,000 Southern. Once again the carnage was appalling and once again Lincoln had the opportunity to end the struggle against the South’s independence as the British did some eighty years earlier with the colonies. Several peace conferences committed to saving the lives of soldiers and civilians alike would end in failure as Lincoln stood firm in his conviction to rule all the American States, and nearly half in subjugation.

More @ Circa 1865

3 comments:

  1. I would like to know where those dates came from. The Wilderness battle that I am familiar with was on May 5-7, 1864 (Grant vs. Lee). The only battle I know of with the dates of July 1-3 was at Gettysburg, but that occurred in 1963. It seems to me the above dates are mistaken. However if it is I who am mistaken, please, correct me so that I may end this day having learned something new. Actually there is a third item besides death and taxes that one can be 100% certain about; that you will be wrong about some thing about a topic that you presume to know a great deal about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting that painting, "TEUTOBURG FOREST MASSACRE", by Otto Albert Koch.

    I searched for the highest resolution of that painting to download into my computer's hard drive, and here is the URL:

    https://i.imgur.com/MaB0DCl.jpg

    ReplyDelete