Wednesday, April 21, 2021

After Decades Under the Bed, a 1974 Vietnamese Film Finds an Audience Online

 After Decades Under the Bed, a 1974 Vietnamese Film Finds an Audience  Online - Saigoneer

 It's 2009 and I'm running a workshop for a large group of unemployed jobseekers in Sydney, Australia.

We are discussing our “greatest accomplishment in life” when a very reserved 60-year-old Vietnamese man says, “I made a feature film at a famous studio, it’s been under my bed for years and no one’s ever seen it.”

We would spend the next 11 years battling skepticism and technological disasters to bring this hidden film to an audience. But through all the hurdles and setbacks I formed the most unlikely friendship with Didi, as he is known, a man with a large heart living in a small flat crammed with filmmaking paraphernalia. I had the opportunity to hear his remarkable journey and make sense of what makes a person hide their greatest achievement under their bed and refer to it as their “never-born child.”

More @ Saigoneer

2 comments:

  1. No action. Kind of boring to me. But it might be good for females to look at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hyped, but poor acting and directing, I thought. An interesting story, though.

      Delete