Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Saigon: A Case for the Coexistence of Convenience Stores and Tạp Hóa

A Case for the Coexistence of Convenience Stores and Tạp Hóa - Saigoneer 

One day after work, I stopped at my local tạp hóa to pick up a bottle of rice wine, a bag of chips and a can of beer. The man who runs the shop, as he does with all customers, tallied up the purchase on his calculator and, despite it totaling VND51,000, asked me simply for năm mươi. It’s possible he didn’t want to fuss and fumble with making change, even though I had the exact amount already in hand, but I’d like to think that it was a small discount earned after years of weekly visits to his shop to buy everything from beer to batteries, pens to toilet paper. Though we exchange little more than pleasantries, the husband and wife who own the shop situated beneath their home have become familiar. If one considers tạp hóa important community institutions, that 1,000 felt like a subtle sign that I was further ingratiating myself in the neighborhood. As an outsider in Vietnam, this is no small matter. 

More @ Saigoneer

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link. Reminds me of my time growing up in Mexico, being sent off to the bodega

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. & you can send a kid to the corner one to buy you beer! :)

      Delete