Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Academy of Southern Music

 https://www.abbevilleinstitute.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/mountain-music.jpg 

The Scotch Snap is an identifiably unique rhythm heard originally in Scottish strathspeys, and here is an example of a strathspey called Tha Mi Sgith that is loaded with Scotch Snap rhythms.  You only need to go about 60 seconds to get the idea.

 

In order to hear Scotch Snap rhythms applied to lyrics, then listen to this Dusty Springfield classic called Wishin and Hopin from 1964.

 

My name is Tom Daniel, and I’m a happy guy.  I’m naturally optimistic, and I love talking about all the good things that come from the South.  I get discouraged when I see Southerners who keep falling into that same trap where they only want to talk about the years 1861-1865.  When there are 400 years of Southern culture to celebrate, why do we keep limiting ourselves to just four of them?  And my favorite Southern topic to talk about is MUSIC, because what my Yankee friends call “American Music” is actually “Southern Music.”  Make no mistake, AMERICAN MUSIC IS SOUTHERN MUSIC.

More @ The Abbeville Institute

4 comments:

  1. That's definitely NOT Dusty Springfield.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know but that is what Youtube stated.

      Delete
    2. Mary O'Brien, stage-name 'Dusty Springfield'.

      Burt Bacharach and Hally David, composers.

      Covered a decade later by Bay City Rollers... but nobody noticed.

      Delete