Monday, August 2, 2021

Cuba Should Be Free: Briefing and Personal Notes on Cuba

 

 Cuban National Flag 1478

Between 1953 and 1957, when I was attending College Park High School near Atlanta, my father was a Flight Superintendent for Delta Airlines and made regular trips to Havana and Caracas to make sure everything needed for operating flights and supporting flight crews was running smoothly. When in Havana, he usually stayed where the Delta flight crews stayed, at the large and luxurious hotels of Havana. He often brought back postcards and photos. They made a strong impression on me as the ultimate enjoyment of beauty and prosperity. That beauty and prosperity would soon crumble under Communist mismanagement and cruel tyrannies.

Some of my church friends attended nearby Georgia Military Academy (GMA), where many *Cuban boys from wealthy families lived on campus. I saw them almost every Saturday, when we rode the bus to Atlanta for movies, lunch, shopping, and sightseeing. It was safe to do back then. I often wonder now how many of them survived Castro’s revolution starting in January 1959.  

More @ Times Examiner

*We also had them at Greenbrier my military school and some went back to fight Castro and two were killed, as I remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment